Explore our Tehiyah Financial Partnership
Tehiyah Day School is a Jewish community day school of socio-economically diverse students and families with a commitment to academic excellence. The Board of Trustees recognizes that socio-economic diversity enriches the educational opportunities for all families and that the participation of a wide range of families is critical to the health of the school. As tuition alone does not cover the full cost of educating each student, we also acknowledge and celebrate the fact that Tehiyah is in a financial partnership with every family in the school.
Tehiyah is committed to making our school accessible and affordable to all. In addition to our own commitment, and in support of the belief in the essential need for Jewish education, several foundations and individuals participate with Tehiyah to assist us in providing as much accessibility as is possible within our resource constraints. In this sense, our partnership extends beyond the school and our families to include those other organizations and donors.
For those families who need additional support, beyond the subsidy provided to every student, we offer financial assistance through the Tehiyah Financial Partnership (TFP). To those who can afford to do so, we extend the invitation to participate more fully in the TFP by donating directly to it through our Annual Giving. To donate to TFP, please click here.
Financial assistance through the TFP is based strictly on demonstrated financial need. We recognize that each family’s financial situation is unique, and the TFP Committee takes into consideration the amount of reduced tuition each family is qualified to receive, based on many factors.
To assist us in objectively assessing what a family is able to pay for tuition, Tehiyah is a member of the School and Student Service division of the National Association of Independent Schools (SSS by NAIS). We use the SSS figures as the baseline for our TFP determinations, taking into consideration our school’s policies and the resources available for returning students as well as applicant families.
All information is kept strictly confidential. In order for the TFP Committee to distribute funds equitably, applicant families must meet all stated deadlines. Failure to meet deadlines can seriously impact a family’s financial assistance amount.
To apply for assistance through the TFP:
- Submit the items for your SSS file, starting with the online Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) at SSS (http://sssbynais.org) When prompted, please enter the Tehiyah code, which is 7627.
- If your family qualifies for a fee waiver, it will be applied automatically by SSS. Waivers are awarded by SSS by NAIS based on family income.
- Upload 2015 tax returns to SSS. No applications can be considered without 2015 tax returns on file.
- Please note that no applications or tax returns will be accepted at Tehiyah. All financial data is to be uploaded to SSS.
- If you uploaded 2015 taxes last year, this step is already done!
- If you did not file U.S. taxes in 2015, you can apply for a waiver if you can provide adequate substitute documentation of income. Contact our CFO, Linda Riff, at gro.h1529829221ayihe1529829221t@ffi1529829221rl1529829221 to apply for a tax forms waiver.
- Upload a signed and un-dated IRS Form 4506-TEZ to your family file at SSS. This form is available here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Please note that your file is not complete until all three steps are done. Incomplete files will not be considered by the Committee.
- By April 15, 2017 you need to upload your 2016 tax returns. Awards are contingent within reasonable parameters upon verification of PFS data to 2016 tax returns.
Due Dates in 2017
Please note that failure to meet deadlines can seriously impact a family’s participation in TFP.
- January 15 – Continuing student applications due (PFS, 2015 tax returns, Form 4506-T)
- February 23 – Continuing student APPEAL FORM due
- February 23 – New student applications due (PFS, 2015 tax returns, Form 4506-T)
- March 1 – Continuing student contracts/TFP acceptances due with deposit; awards will not be held past this date and funds will be reallocated to other students
- March 21 – New student appeals due
- March 27 – New student contracts/TFP acceptances due with deposit; awards will not be held past this date
- April 15 – 2016 tax returns or extension forms due for all students
Tehiyah adheres to the NAIS Principles of Good Practice for Financial Aid in administering financial assistance through our TFP which can be found here. The TFP Committee strives to make decisions that maintain economic balance and diversity within the school. Priority is given to returning students and their siblings, balanced with meeting the needs of new families, based on each family’s financial need and available funding. There are no 100% grants. The financial needs of the school may influence financial support decisions.
Families are also required to apply for other available sources of funds for which they qualify (e.g. The Basic Fund or the Guardsmen Scholarship Program). For Basic Fund eligibility and requirements please visit http://basicfund.org/. For Guardsmen, please visit https://guardsmen.org/programs/scholarship-program .
TFP applications from continuing families with delinquent accounts from prior years will not be considered.
If a parent of a school-age child chooses not to work, additional income of up to $25,000 may be imputed and added to the calculation.
In addition to the legal parent(s)/guardian(s), domestic partners and other responsible adults living in the household are expected to provide full financial information to SSS.
For two-household families, the school will consider the assets of both parents before determining eligibility for the TFP and will not be bound by the assertion that one parent has disclaimed responsibility for educational expenses. In the case of remarriage, the school will also consider the assets of the stepparent, keeping in mind the obligation of that stepparent to his or her own children.
It is the responsibility of the custodial parent to ask the non-custodial parent to complete the PFS. This information is confidential and neither the school nor SSS will disclose financial information about one parent to the other parent.
Financial need is not a consideration in determining a student’s eligibility for admission. If a child is accepted and the family qualifies for TFP but funds are not available, the student remains accepted and the student will be placed in the Financial Assistance Wait Pool for a limited period, in case additional funds become available.
The TFP is available for tuition only; no other school programs or fees are eligible for reduction.
For assistance with the SSS forms and procedures, please contact the SSS by NAIS support line at 800-344-8328. For assistance with Basic Fund, Guardsmen, or other scholarships, please contact those organizations directly. For questions about Tehiyah’s policies and procedures, please contact Linda Riff, Interim CFO, in the Business Office at Tehiyah: gro.h1529829221ayihe1529829221t@ffi1529829221rl1529829221 or 510-233-3013 ext 7104. Email is preferred.